Thursday 19 September 2013

Up cycling

Like so many other people, I suffer from migraines. Cluster migraines actually. I don't need to go into detail, but one of the horrible symptoms of these migraines is photo-phobia. Light of any kind is incredibly painful, so I wear an eye mask to block out the light during an attack. However, my old eye mask is a bit ugly and not the most comfortable item to wear during the heightened sensitivities a migraine sufferer experiences during an attack, so, I had a look through my bits and pieces of fabric, old clothes and sewing stuff and made myself a couple of new eye masks.
First, I traced around my existing eye mask. As you can see from the picture, functional, but not very exciting. Then, I thought about what materials I had and how I could adapt the design to accommodate them, cut a paper pattern for all the elements, then, using an old pair of pajama bottoms and some soft satin, I got to work....

This was the tricky bit, gathering the frill and pinning it to the edge. 




Here I added some medium weight wadding for extra softness and comfort.




I made two, but after my twenty year old daughter saw them, she decided that she NEEDED one too!!!! Hmmm, looks like I may need to make a few more.

No comments:

Post a Comment