Wednesday 16 October 2013

Bear Hoods

Now is the time of year to be getting our scarves, gloves and hats out of storage, dust them off, put them on and stay warm.
I have made a few hood/scarves out of other items that I no longer want. Although I will not be the one who is wearing them, they will make great gifts for a few teenage girls who have birthday's coming up and will of course make lovely Christmas gifts too.
Take an old fur coat (or any old coat) and take it apart.
Carefully cut out the pattern pieces. The scarf element of this pattern was too long to cut it out completely, so I just made it shorter. I would have liked to reuse the lining, but it was a bit past it's useful life, so I had a root around my fabric box and found a rich burgundy lining to use instead.

Assemble the pieces (sorry, I didn't take very many pictures of this bit)
And, there you have it! a bear hood.
Although I do make my own patterns, this one was free with a making magazine. So all together, it cost me nothing except for my time. This is an easy item to make and can be easily put together in 2 or 3 hours.
So, I made a few more out of an old blanket. They are both longer and have pockets.
This one is lined with some fabric I had left over from another project.
This one is lined with an old bed sheet.
The blanket and sheet were washed before I resused them and had very little wear in them. They had simply become surplus to our requirements so it was a choice of find another home for them or another use.
I'm very happy with the results.
Let me know what you think. Thanks for looking x

No comments:

Post a Comment